Removing Low-Level Disruption to Improve Learning Inset
Is low level disruption frustrating your students’ progress?
Are you fed up that your teaching time being lost to dealing with student ‘off task’ behaviour?
Are you disillusioned with a ‘one size fits all’ approach to behaviour management?
Low-level disruption is the bane of the school teacher’s working life. This course will offer realistic solutions that have been proven to work for keeping students on task and minimising costly low-level disruption. We will engage with six methodologies to prevent hundreds of hours being wasted by students' off-task behaviour. This isn’t a behaviour management course that sells just a single way of dealing with all cases of low-level disruption. Quite the opposite, it will provide a variety of solutions to low-level disruption that will be demonstrated and teachers can reflect upon which technique works for them.
What other teachers have said about the course
An excellent course that was full of very good, practical ideas and was also very well-delivered. I will definitely be using these strategies.Bethan Williams, Ysgol Uwchradd Aberteifi
Excellent learning opportunity and interesting all the way through. Very relevant.Rachel Fowler, St Aidan's C of E Technology College
Excellent advice, clear & friendly instructor with great resource pack. Interactive day, left with plenty of ideas and tips to try straight away.Lauren Twamley, Lliswerry High School
A great day, really friendly and knowledgeable. I will take a lot from this.Charlotte Evans. Lewis School Pengam
A great day, learnt lots and got some great new ideas to use in the classroom.Bethan Lloyd, Bryntirion Comprehensive School
The session was both informative and helpful. I will be implementing many of the strategies given. Thank you!Melanie Maybank, King Henry VIII School
Thoroughly enjoyed. Gained lots of useful tips and ideas.Annie Wye, The Downs School
An excellent course full of very good, practical ideas and very well delivered. I will definitely be using these strategies.Bethan Williams, Ysgol Uwchradd Aberteifi
An excellent course, full of practical ideas I can't wait to implement!Amy James, Maesteg School
Very informative and clear. Hands on advice - lots of practical advice on all sorts of different pupils.Beth Pretty, Y Pant Comprehensive School
Simply first class. I loved the pragmatic nature of the advice.Mark Nangreave, Woodlands Academy
Full Course Content
This course aims to:
- Explore the six major strategies used to reduce low-level disruption
- Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each system
- Learn how to tailor each strategy to the way you teach
- Provide a wealth of behaviour management tips that you could use tomorrow
The Teacher-Student Relationship
- What do you do with the first 10 minutes of the lesson?
- Boundaries and routines that work
- Voice and body language. Why you need to look and sound the part
- The ‘effective ladder’
Solutions to Difficult Situations
- Classroom management during oral work
- The ‘Canton system’ - explained, analysed and demonstrated
- Dealing with confrontation – the realist guide
- The ‘Reinbeck system’ - explained, analysed and demonstrated
More Advanced Techniques
- Assertive discipline properly explained
- Dealing with hot-spots most effectively
- Tough love and academic Rigour… yes, we do need to retain both.
- Lesson plans that inspire and contain no box ticking