How to Be an Outstanding Middle Manager in an Independent School
Many middle managers at independent schools find themselves in post without any formal training for the role. It is common that these people are also wearing many other hats in the school at the same time with no prior preparation for taking on such tasks.
It is little wonder that staff in these situations find themselves worn out and frustrated at the end of term or even earlier. This course aims to help all aspiring and current middle managers by focusing on the challenges they face and offering proven, practical solutions to the issues confronting colleagues. This course will be of benefit to: Heads of Departments, Faculties, Years, Activities or Games; Year Heads; Sixth Form Heads; Middle School Leaders and House Tutors.
What other teachers have said about the course
Great course, very engaging. Good resource provided in the booklet.Sarah Carneil - Sherfield School
A great course- it has really helped with my confidence that I am doing the right things in my job.Adam Swift - Saint Martin's School
Excellent course and resources to middle leaders. Thank you Tony!Kath Crook - The Dragon School
I'm pretty cynical about courses, but this one is excellent! The materials are superb and the presentation is fantastically engaging. Fantastic for inspiring as well as incumbent middle…Mike Baker -Hampton School
Dynamic, fun, relevant, interesting... I loved to attend this course. Tony has presented tons of useful ideas and great guidance, some of which I already plan to implement at my school.…Alex Reina - El Limonar International School- Murcia
An excellent run course that was informative, some great ideas and has given me inspiration to innovate/ develop my pastoral team.Jakki Marr - Leighton Park School
Excellent - one of the best courses I've been on due to presenter's enthusiasm and clarity and the structure and relevance of materials.Howard Shaw - Leighton Park School
Full Course Content
This Course Aims to:
- Define your role and expectations as a middle manager
- Demonstrate how to handle time, paper and crisis management
- Explore the potential challenges of change and how to deal with them
- Allow delegates to consider the importance of key school documents concerning appraisal, inspection etc
Session 1: Leadership and Management
- What is a middle manager?
- Defining leadership – leader or manager?
- Defining your role
- Characteristics of leaders
Session 2: Day to Day Management
- Effective time management
- Strategies for paper management
- A guide to crisis management
- Running productive meetings
Session 3: The Broader Picture
- How to manage change – the principles & the documentation
- Having difficult conversations – colleagues/parents etc
- Appointing new colleagues
- Self-appraisal and career development