Maximising Your Effectiveness as a TA in a C21st Classroom
The Teaching Assistant can be highly valued asset in the classroom. The key though is to identify what are and what aren’t the best value interventions the TA can make. This course will offer practical, lesson ready strategies to support you in improving the Literacy and Numeracy skills of the pupils you support.
Whilst this course will focus upon work with mainstream pupils there will be clear reference to EAL and SEN Pupils.
- An understanding of the evidence about what the most effective TAs really do
- A whole range of proven Literacy and Numeracy strategies you can apply to your pupils
- A clear understanding of the techniques and resources you will need through ‘hands on’ and practical training
- Clear and obvious upskilling and a deeper understanding of best classroom practice.
Full Course Content
Session 1: Setting the context
- Describe what we know an effective TA does and does not do
- Identify the barriers to Literacy and Numeracy some pupils face
- Outline the best strategies to improve Literacy and Numeracy
- Showcase how the TA can apply what we know works best
Session 2: Literacy Interventions
- Focus on the 3 core aspects of Literacy (reading, writing and oracy)
- Support with writing - spellings, Language for Learning, extending writing
- Support with reading - various ways of reading
- Support with oracy - building more confident speakers
Session 3: Numeracy Interventions
- Focus on the 3 core aspects of Numeracy (data, measuring and number)
- Strategies to support number work
- Strategies to support measuring work
- Strategies to support data work