A Master Class in Independent Learning
Shifting the emphasis of learning towards students becoming more independent and more willing to work harder than their teacher is never going to be easy. But this course will attempt to aid the process by going through the stages needed to be successful. It will be tailored to your requirements on the day and will be hands-on and interactive.
We will explore the very nature of motivation and how to improve it. We will look at why students learn to be dependent and how we can coax them into taking responsibility for their own learning. The outcome of which will see students self-motivated to progress, achieve and excel.
What other teachers have said about the course
Excellent - very practical ideas that I will easily integrate into my teaching starting tomorrow. The trainer reminded me why I went into teaching in the first place, thank you so much!Mia Krunk -Connaught School for Girls
Very interesting and liked that we, as a group, took the day where we wanted to go. Very flexible presenter.John Maguire - Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School
It was certainly an inspiring course and I am convinced I will be using the techniques and ideas in my lessons. I can't wait to see how they pan out.Valentin Pappert -St Albans School
Full Course Content
- Enable teachers to understand the benefits and barriers to learners becoming independent
- Offer strategies to increase the independence of students
- Introduce effective and beneficial ideas for making your students work harder than you
- Provide a totally hands-on day to allow you to confidently put into practice what has been learned the very next day
Session 1: Principles of Independence and Motivation
- The benefits of independent learning and strategies
- What is motivation?
- Why do some of our students lack the motivation to be independent?
- Effective strategies for motivating
Session 2: Getting Students to Take Responsibility for Their Learning
- Inspiring students to take responsibility
- Learning styles and independent learning
- Changing the classroom culture
- Dealing with parents who don't understand
Session 3: Showing Progress
- Self and peer assessment strategies that work
- Simple and free ICT tools to aid independent learning
- Formulating an effective strategy timeline