The Practical Guide to Managing Difficult Parents Inset
- Have you a small number of parents who can sometimes be difficult?
- Do you want to ensure that relationships with parents and colleagues are as harmonious as possible?
- Would you like to develop strategies for dealing with conflict and awkward situations?
Many of those who work in schools, support and secretarial as well as teaching, will have encountered a difficult situation with a parent or colleague at least once. Such encounters can escalate to a situation where awkward conversations are avoided, or there is a complete breakdown in communication. This course will show you positive ways to deal with the difficult conversations we all have and deal with breakdowns in communication.
- An insight into parents’ perspectives: what frustrates parents and makes them “difficult”
- Improved skills when dealing with potentially ugly situations
- Effective preparation for difficult meetings with parents
- The ability to handle unexpected encounters
- Increased awareness of the legal issues involved in schools
What other teachers have said about the course
Excellent content and delivery. Brilliant to be able to share experiences/ strategies with others.
Excellent and food for thought.
Full Course Content
- Why do parents become frustrated? Understanding parents’ perspectives
- Communication issues and breakdown
- Effective language and listening skills
Conflict and Anger
- Why anger builds up
- How to spot potential problems to avoid 'conflict' or 'anger'
- How to manage when life becomes ugly
- Case studies: some real-life situations
- Preparing for difficult meetings
- Keeping calm and being in control
- Know how to cope with unexpected encounters
- Some legal issues that you really need to know