How to Be a Highly Effective Subject Leader
- Do you want rigorous and effective systems of monitoring and evaluation?
- Do you want proven strategies for maintaining long-term progress in your department?
- Do you want real world answers to the everyday questions that all subject leaders face?
Leading a subject area effectively is one of the most important elements in securing high quality teaching and learning in all schools. By focusing on your role as a leader of learning, this course will help you to establish and maintain your vision, get the best out of your team and ensure high quality outcomes - all whilst maintaining sanity and perspective about the role.
What other teachers have said about the course
Really refreshing to have a leader giving and making suggestions rather than 'telling' me what to do. A real personal deliveryTracey Costin, Goodwin School
No-nonsense approach, excellent venue and host. Excellent opportunities to converse and give opinions. Brilliant interaction with trainer and participantsValerie Berchel, James Allen's Grammar School
Excellent course leader, friendly, engaging, well organized course. Activities were helpful and the course always had a practical focusMark Newbury, Corpus Christi High School
Excellent! A really friendly but practical course. Great strategies and clear parts to help with understanding the roleShelley Owen, Brynteg Comprehensive School
Fantastic course - really enjoyable! Feel more confident about my new role and am looking forward to a new term. Steve was great - very knowledgeable and answered our questions wellEmma Kelly, Shrewsbury School
Probably the best CPD I have ever been on - Steve was great. Practical and approachableKaty James, Caterham School
Full Course Content
This Course Aims to:
- Offer realistic and practical solutions to problems relating to staffing, resources and performance
- Provide delegates with the very latest information regarding ways of working with data
- Focus on leadership of learning as the core role of leadership
- Leave you feeling enthused and energised with increased confidence in your ability to lead
Setting the Context
- Skills, disposition and features
- Priorities and focus
- Schemes of work
- Planning for learning
- Interrogating data properly
- Sampling - what does and doesn't work
- Lesson observations - what they do and don't show and how to improve them
- Subject meetings - getting more out of them
Leading, Managing and Coping
- Leading and managing the differences
- What kind of leader are you?
- Types and preferences