Challenging More Able Pupils in English
Do you want to challenge your students effectively throughout KS3 and KS4, and prepare them to achieve the highest possible grades/marks?
Do you want to prevent your brightest students becoming bored or frustrated? (something that should never happen in English)
Has your department been asked to focus on stretching the potentially high achievers?
This course demonstrates how specific approaches and strategies can be used in the classroom with minimum preparation but with maximum effect on our students’ learning. Transform your students’ experience in your classroom today and watch as they reap the benefits and improve exam results!
What other teachers have said about the course
Thank you very much. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and Pamela presented the content with flair. I will certainly be going back to school and using many of these ideas.Elin Hughes- Ysgol Y Gader
A very interesting and useful course with activities that I could use straight away. Pamela was excellent - very interesting and engaging throughout. I really look forward to implementing…Kate Saleh - Corpus Christi High School
A hands-on course with lots of practical resources.Sian Jeffreys School: Mountain Ash Comprehensive School
Wonderful! Hands-on and very useful.Ceri Price - Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf
Excellent new ideas and new ways of approaching MAT students. Useful booklet full of resources to use the next day - thank you!Hayley Parfitt - Bedwas High School
Very high standard of subject knowledge, lots of useful ideas with immediate practical applications.Michelle Mosley - Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy
Very practical, well presented and memorable. Lovely use of humour and confident delivery with a hands on approach to help us retain what we have learned. Thank you.Caroline Sheridan - Devonport High School for Boys'
Full Course Content
This Course Aims to:
- The ability to identify your more able pupils correctly
- Specific skills and strategies to develop these pupils;
- A pack of highly effective lesson ideas to use the next day.
- Going back to the concepts of teaching with flair and creativity and turning that photocopier off
Sharpening the Focus
- Identifying these pupils correctly
- Understanding their needs and what really works with them
- Challenging lessons that lead to deeper understanding
- Maximum engagement – all of the time
- Understanding what Examiners want
- Poetry – a closer analysis of the writer’s skill
- Fiction texts – a different approach to deepen understanding
- Putting exam skills into practise
- Thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for their learning
- Asking the “What if…? Question to explore character
- Risk-taking and bit relying on spoon-feeding
- Making sure high challenge lessons are the norm.