An Evidence-Based Approach to Raising the Achievement of Boys Inset
Do your girls have a higher ‘value added’ when compared to your boys’ achievement?
Would you like a ‘treasure trove’ of proven, boy friendly teaching ideas that are low on preparation time?
Would you value an opportunity to reflect on how to adapt these ideas to your way of teaching?
The course will describe how to plan, implement and embed a boy-friendly culture into your lessons. The ideas are low on teacher preparation time but high in effect. You will engage with a range of novel strategies to inspire the de-motivated and cutting-edge solutions to student tracking and intervention. Above all this course is aimed at improving motivation and exam results.
What other teachers have said about the course
A great learning experience! Lots to take away and feedback to the department/ School. All materials easily adapted for across all subjects.Jill Lee - Montgomery High School
Excellent as it was focused on practical examples with a rough outline of the theoretical.John Mchugh - Little Lever School
Excellent course - a wide range of practical strategies that I'm looking forward to trialling soon.Jess Lewis - Warwick School
Lots of new ideas related to all subject use. You could see how the activities could be used in your own subject.Rebecca Whearcroft -Knutsford Academy
Superb course. Great ideas that can be used everyday in lessons. Particularity as examples in every subject were included. Right mix of theory and practical strategies. A very enjoyable and…Laura McFadden - Hall Mead School
Excellent ideas presented in a way that was effective and made sense. Not just theory but actual strategies to implement.Peter Green -The Ace Academy
Full Course Content
This Course Aims to:
- Give a historical perspective on boys’ academic underperformance
- Show boy-friendly techniques to enhance learning based upon the main educational investigations
- Embed a culture of high expectations of boys
- Pre-empt underachievement through targeted early intervention
Implementation of Outstanding Lesson Ideas
- What boys are we really talking about?
- A history of boys’ underperformance
- A culture of high expectation
- Tablet technology and improving boys’ performance. What’s the connection?
What Really Works?
- A tour of the most important investigations into improving boys achievement
- An evaluation of evidence based research and then using the outcomes.
- Motivating lesson ideas and structures
- The socialisation of boys in your school
How to Make a Difference?
- Cutting edge student tracking
- Powerful intervention strategies proven to work
- A range of successful pedagogies for boys
- High impact plenaries and the next steps