An Evidence-Based Approach to Raising the Achievement of Boys
This workshop concentrates on strategies to improve the teaching and learning of boys. The course will focus on ways of introducing more boy-friendly strategies into your day-to-day lessons. Teachers will have time to reflect on their expectations and look at evidence on educational investigations into reducing boys’ underperformance. Some powerful techniques to stretch and challenge will be demonstrated. Delegates will engage with some active learning techniques to improve students’ motivation and boost examination results. This course is suitable for both NQT teachers and for teachers with decades of experience.
The course will describe how to plan, implement and embed a boy-friendly culture into your lessons. The ideas are low on teacher preparation time but high on boy progress. You will engage with a range of novel starters to inspire the de-motivated. You will be exposed to cutting edge solutions to student tracking and intervention.
What other teachers have said about the course
A great learning experience! Lots to take away and feedback to the department/ School. All materials easily adapted for across all subjects.Jill Lee - Montgomery High School
Excellent as it was focused on practical examples with a rough outline of the theoretical.John Mchugh - Little Lever School
Excellent course - a wide range of practical strategies that I'm looking forward to trialling soon.Jess Lewis - Warwick School
Lots of new ideas related to all subject use. You could see how the activities could be used in your own subject.Rebecca Whearcroft -Knutsford Academy
Superb course. Great ideas that can be used everyday in lessons. Particularity as examples in every subject were included. Right mix of theory and practical strategies. A very enjoyable and…Laura McFadden - Hall Mead School
Excellent ideas presented in a way that was effective and made sense. Not just theory but actual strategies to implement.Peter Green -The Ace Academy
Full Course Content
This Course Aims to:
- Give a historical perspective on boys’ academic underperformance
- Show boy-friendly techniques to enhance learning
- Summarise the main educational investigations to improve boys’ performance
- Embed a culture of high expectations of boys
- Pre-empt underachievement through targeted early intervention
Session 1: Implementation of Outstanding Lesson Ideas
- A history of boys’ underperformance
- A toolkit of powerful starters
- A culture of high expectation
- Tablet technology and improving boys’ performance
Session 2: What Really Works?
- A tour of the most important investigations to improve boys
- An evaluation of evidence based research
- Motivating lesson ideas
- The socialisation of boys
Session 3: How to Make a Difference?
- Cutting edge student tracking
- Powerful intervention strategies
- A range of successful pedagogies
- High impact plenaries and the next steps